Thursday, May 8, 1919

Very beautiful mild day.  To college 8:30 to 12.  Played tennis with H.H., Leslie Jones, and Stanley Joseph.  Studied.  To Uncle Henry's to take dahlias.  Studied.  To bed 10 P.M.

**********
Well, my speculation of yesterday on the connection with Levi (AKA Levy) Moss was somewhat off.  Once I started looking in the Closson genealogy for the Myers connection, I stumbled across the Moss connection.  Levi Moss was actually the husband of Ella Maria Jones, who was one of Evan and Phoebe Helen Closson Jones' children.  (Evan Jones was unfortunately killed during the Civil War in 1864, in Andersonville Prison, after fathering six children.) Another of their children was Sedany Elizabeth (AKA Elizabeth) Jones, who married Charles Myers and was living with Thomas Closson, her grandfather, in 1880.

So, Levi Moss's wife Ella is Stillman's first cousin.  But I don't think Stanford's tennis partner Leslie Jones is related to Evan Jones, because Evan was from Wales, apparently, at least according to the military record of his death.

I have not been able to determine who Uncle Henry is so far. I have a candidate, though: Henry Smith Gilbert, who was the husband of another one of Stillman's cousins, Helen Weaver, daughter of Hannah Closson, sister of Charles.  He may have been called Uncle Henry by Stanford in the way that the cousins of one's parents are thought of as Aunt or Uncle by the children.  For example, I had an Aunt Eva who was actually my grandfather's cousin, not his sister or even his aunt.  I always called her "Aunt," because that's what my mother called her, even though she was my mother's (and my) cousin.  Stanford's Uncle Henry might be that sort of uncle.

Or perhaps it was someone else entirely.  If any readers know, do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment