Saturday, May 10, 1919

Cloudy and rainy all day.  To college 8:30 to 10 A.M.  Around House.  Sorted eggs in P.M.  Down Street.  Bought shoes etc.  Supper.  Played games until 9:15 P.M.  To bed 10 P.M.  THANKFUL.

**********
I see that Stanford had classes on Saturday as I did in 1968 (and a few years after that, too, I think).  This is not true anymore and it seems strange that it was true as late as the sixties, but it was how schools fit in all the classes, I guess.  During the Baby Boomer college years, they probably needed the space because so many people were going to college.  I wonder what the reason was in Stanford's era. . .

It's too bad Stanford didn't mention what games he played; I assume he played them with his family.  Perhaps they were board games or card games. One board game popular in the 1910s, according to one book, was Milton Bradley's The Checkered Game of Life, a precursor, it seems, to Monopoly.  Another was the Merchant Marine game, about shipping (oddly).

Nearly every day, Stanford ends by saying he was thankful, sometimes for specific blessings.  It's kind of his sign-off, you might say.

No comments:

Post a Comment