Sunday, November 23, 1919

Cool wet day. Some rain and some snow but not enough to accumulate. Down to Hayes's room and waited for him to get ready. To S.S. To Win My Chum meeting in P.M. at our church. Over to city mission. Home. To Trinity Church with Doris Smith in P.M. To bed 10:30 P.M.

**********
I was disappointed to see that Stanford never even mentioned that it was his 19th birthday. I wonder why? Did they not celebrate their birthdays in that family?

Never having before heard of this "Win My Chum" phenomenon (and not even sure I was reading it correctly), I did some investigating and lo and behold such a thing did exist! It was a particular Epworth League event designed to get more young people involved in the church, apparently. I'm still not sure what happened at the meeting, though.

Here is a part of an article that appeared in the November 25, 1920 Christian Advocate in which there is praise for the annual Win-My-Chum Week:

No comments:

Post a Comment