Friday, September 26, 1919

Beautiful bright mild day. To college 7:45 to 9; 11-12; 1:35 to 2:30 P.M. etc. Played tennis with H.H. Got trimmed 13-11. Took bath. Candled eggs. Studied etc. To bed 10 P.M.

**********
I hadn't heard the term "trimmed" used in that way before, although I must say it makes sense.  I found its being used in Stanford's day, though, in a short story by Ring Lardner published in 1914. It was told in letters from a baseball player (a "busher") to his friend. Here is an excerpt:
So you see Al I am going to pitch on the nineteenth. I hope you guys can be up there and I will show you something. I know I can beat them Tigers and I will have to do it even if they are Violet's team.
I notice that New York and Boston got trimmed to-day so I suppose they wish Comiskey would ask for waivers on me. No chance Al.
Ring Lardner, some of you may know, was a sports writer in the early part of the 20th century, closely associated with Chicago (though he was born in Niles, Michigan). He was said to have been very disappointed by the Black Sox scandal of 1919 (October of 1919, in fact, just days from when this entry was made). 

No comments:

Post a Comment